Back to results

The Chalk Tower

Lighthouse Road, Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15 1AR

  • Multiple dates available
  • In person

The oldest lighthouse on Flamborough Head, built in 1674, bankrupted its builder. However, it has served as a watch point and telegraph tower, and is still used as a marker by fishermen today. Please note: only ground floor is open to visitors.

It was built in 1674 as a lighthouse by Sir John Clayton and George Blake. Ships passing the tower were supposed to pay a tax, based on the weight of their cargo, to Clayton to support the provision of fires at the top of the lighthouse. As the payment was voluntary, mariners refused to pay and Clayton went bankrupt. This was the end of the tower as a lighthouse. As the chalk tower was visible from afar, it was used as a signalling point. Semaphore telgraphy was devised in 1792, and coded messages were transmitted, using coloured flags on top of the tower, particularly during the Napoleonic wars. Since 1952 the tower has been listed Grade II* as a beacon tower. The Friends of the Chalk Tower have a licence with ERYC to open the ground floor to the public for special events.

Timings & Tours

Sunday 08 September:
2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday 15 September:
2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Location & directions

Lighthouse Road, Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15 1AR

Contact on day:
Michelle Stephens
Telephone number:
+447944384786

Booking information

Pre-booking requirement:
**NOT FOUND**
Booking conditions:

Accessibility details

Steps up to the ground floor, with handrail. Please park in ERYC car park at Flamborough Head and walk to Tower.

Additional information

Only ground floor is open to public

Est. tour duration:
0 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

Back to results